NEW LIFT STANDARDS
EN 81-20 AND EN 81-50: THE NEW STANDARDS FOR INCREASED SAFETY AND COMFORT
The European Committee has released two new standards which will be effective as of 1st September 2017. Axess 2 ensures fulfilment of all standard requirements to guarantee planning certainty for our customers.
INCREASED COMFORT AND SAFETY
The new standards EN 81-20 and EN 81-50 are applicable for passenger and goods passenger lifts, representing the biggest change to the design standards for lifts in the last two decades. All lifts put into operation as of 1st September 2017 will have to comply with the new standards. These new standards bring benefits in terms of safety and accessibility for both lift passengers and service engineers.
MAJOR CHANGES AT A GLANCE
Passenger safety and comfort
- Improved clearance of light curtain to avoid smaller objects being trapped
- Higher requirements for fire resistance of car interiors
- Improved strength and durability of car walls and door
- Brighter illumination in the car
Service personnel safety
- Larger permanent safety spaces in lift shaft headroom and pit
- Mandatory lift control panel with stop button in the lift shaft pit
- Brighter illumination in the shaft
For advice on the changes and how it affects your project please get in touch or download our New Lift Standards data sheet below.