Holyhead’s historic market hall, built in 1855, had lain derelict for more than a decade before work began to transform it into a library and community hub. The hall will also include a coffee shop, a local history centre and have office space for hire.
The Grade II-listed hall was commissioned for local traders by William Owen Stanley, an MP from a famous landowning family who later became Anglesey’s Lord Lieutenant. Boxing and wrestling matches were staged at the hall before it fell into disrepair, hosting a fruit and vegetable shop before it finally shut in 2000. Anglesey council took over the building in 2014 saving it from a potential collapse.
The refurbished hall is expected to open its doors Summer 2019.
Axess 2 were originally contact by Purcell Architects back in December 2017 and presented with concept renderings of what their vision would be for the complex passenger lift to service 4 floors in the historic building
The passenger lift not only had to service the floors, but had to do it from three different entrances. Over the next 12 months the lift design developed and with final approval granted in March this year, the lift went into manufacture. The low pit lift was to travel 3900mm (lower ground, ground, first and second) servicing all areas of the interior layout.
The hydraulic 500 passenger lift was installed in its own steel structure, supplied by Axess2, to form the lift shaft, which the client them clad and finished to compliment the surrounding areas. The cabin and doors were manufacture from satin stainless steel for longevity and durability.
A small step lift was also installed in one of the office rental areas on the second floor to accommodate a change in level.
If you require any further information on our lift products or services, contact our lift specialists on 01200 405005.